February 23, 2011

Morning Greens Smoothie

This is the smoothie before blending in the fruits
My family and I love vegetables and have recently recommitted ourselves to getting our max daily servings. That means more veggies every meal- but breakfast is always problematic. So when my friend, Alisa, posted this on her blog, I was excited to try it out. I was a little skeptical (although hopeful) at first- but the fruits really do mask both the color and flavor of the greens. My kids think this smoothie is delicious- and I love that we get a full serving of leafy greens early in the morning!


Morning Greens Smoothie

1 cup water or juice (I use juice)
1 handful cabbage (I used red cabbage)
1 handful collard greens
2 huge handfuls fresh spinach
1 fresh banana 
1 peach or 1 cup frozen peach slices
1 cup fresh or frozen pineapple
1 cup frozen blueberries

Blend the juice and greens in a blender until smooth. Add banana and blend til smooth. Add the frozen fruits and continue blending til smooth. Add more fruit juice if necessary to achieve desired consistency. Serve immediately. Makes about 4-5 cups.
 
All blended- enough for 4 servings
Notes: When adding my greens, my blender is nearly full with the juice and the leaves, but don't worry, they blend down quite well, with plenty of room for the fruit.  I used frozen peaches, pineapple, and blueberries. Also, I used red cabbage instead of green (I know, I said leafy greens, but my daughter asked if we could try it, so I did!) My friend Alisa buys the prebagged/washed greens, which I couldn't find at my supermarket. I just bought the greens in a bunch or head, washed and cut them, then put then in a ziptop bag. I leave a small space open at the top of the bag when I close it so the greens stay fresher and can 'breathe.'
Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...