March 3, 2011

Classic Banana Bread

I'm pretty sure that my sister gave me this recipe from CookingLight, so I hope she wasn't planning on posting it anytime soon.  This is my favorite thing to do with extra ripe bananas.  Not that we have those very often since Miss B usually gobbles up all the bananas long before they go extra ripe...but on the rare occasion that I buy more than plenty and a few of them turn brown, this is the perfect solution.



Classic Banana Bread
Yield: 1 loaf

2  cups  all-purpose flour
3/4  teaspoon  baking soda
1/2  teaspoon  salt
1  cup  sugar
1/4  cup  butter, softened
2  large eggs
1 1/2  cups  mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
1/3  cup  plain low-fat yogurt
1  teaspoon  vanilla extract
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.

Mix flour, baking soda, and salt until well combined, set aside.

Cream together sugar and butter in a large bowl, by beating with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute). Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, and vanilla; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Spoon batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

*Tip--While the loaf is still hot, wrap in plastic wrap to keep the bread nice and moist.  Then place the wrapped loaf on a cooling rack to finish cooling off.  (Or just wait a few minutes, cut a slice, spread on some butter and enjoy it hot!)

1 comment:

  1. So, so excited to try this! I have been on a quest for years for banana bread that isn't mushy in the middle...seems like no matter how far I turn the oven down it ends up the same way. But that looks gorgeous! I have old bananas on my counter right now so it's perfect timing. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...