February 26, 2011

Super Fast Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks

I was on the hunt for a new breadstick recipe, so my cousin's wife, Jenny, sent me this one. It was originally called "one hour breadsticks".  But, seeing how I have made them a gazillion times and I still haven't gotten them finished entirely in one hour (probably due to the fact that I'm usually talking to my sister on the phone while I'm making them!) I thought that "one hour" part would be a little deceptive.  Despite not making the hour-cutoff, they are the fastest breadstick recipe I've found--I can start them and have them on the table in a short one hour and twenty minutes.

I must admit that I was a bit skeptical about the topping the first time I made it; but, it works--I promise.



Super Fast Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks

1 1/2 cup warm water
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon yeast (I use 1 little square package)
3 1/2 cups flour

Topping
1/3 cup soft butter
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1/4 cup Monterrey jack cheese, grated (or just use all mozzarella)
1-2 tsp minced fresh or bottled garlic
Parsley flakes

1. Mix water, sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl.  Rest 5 minutes.  Add flour and mix well.  Rest 15-20 minutes. 

2. In a separate bowl, make the breadstick topping by combining butter, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella, Monterrey jack, and garlic.  Set aside.

3. Remove dough and place on floured covered surface and knead until smooth and not sticky.



4. Coat a big cookie sheet with butter (I use cooking spray).  Place dough on sheet and spread out with fingers to edges.

6. Spread breadstick topping over dough.  Sprinkle with parsley flakes.  Let dough sit for 15-20 minutes or until dough has risen a little.



7. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 18-25 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom.  Cut in to squares or rectangles.  (Tip--use your pizza cutter for this step--makes it a ton easier!)


4 comments:

  1. I make these all the time and they are magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these for the first time today. They are absolutely delicious! I'm not a big bread eater, but I found myself eating more breadsticks than pasta!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...